I have a mailing list, how many emails can I send out on my web hosting account?
Processing large amounts of mail adversely affect web server performance. It is for this reason that we have strict policies in place for sending mail.
Customers hosting on one of our shared servers should not exceed the following limits:
- One email sent to a maximum of 500 recipients within 1 hour or
- 500 identical emails to individual recipients within 1 hour or
- any combination of the above
Should customers hosting on our shared servers exceed the above mailing list limitations (regardless of whether it constitutes Spam or not), we will remove the offending emails from the mail queue and suspend the account.
If it is necessary for you to send mail to more than 500 recipients within an hour, we would advise that you send these emails through your local ISP’s mail server, which is specifically configured to handle high volumes of mail. Alternatively, you may wish to look at our Managed Servers which allow for up to 3,600 mails that can be sent per hour.
Below are best-practice guidelines to assist you in maintaining an acceptable mailing list:
- Administer confirmed ‘opt-in’ mailing lists where the recipient or would-be subscriber provides a positive response to an initial email e.g. the recipient replies to an email or clicks on a link in the email indicating consent.
- A ‘remove’ or ‘unsubscribe’ link (an opt-out procedure) must be provided to make it easier for the recipient to revoke consent or to cancel their subscription. Mailings must cease promptly once a subscription is cancelled.
- Mailing list administrators must take adequate steps to ensure that their lists are not used for abusive purposes.
When it comes to maintaining mailing lists, it is vitally important that all communication is consensual.