How to set up email in Outlook 2016 for Mac
This guide takes you step-by-step through the process of setting up a new email account in Outlook 2016 for Mac.
If the Mail account is already set up, but giving errors – then refer to our Troubleshooting guide.
Replace example.com with your domain name
Check your password
- First, check your password by browsing to Webmail and trying to log in. If you aren’t able to log in, then you have the incorrect password. Forgotten passwords can be reset in konsoleH – you will need to get your domain or web administrator to update it for you if you don’t have konsoleH access.
Add your mail account
- Launch Outlook for Mac
- Select the Tools tab and then Accounts
- A new window will open which will list any other accounts already set up
- At the bottom left, Click the ‘+‘ button and then New Account…
- Add your email address and click Continue
- The programme will unsuccessfully search for the provider. Select IMAP/POP
Enter your account information
- Incoming server
- add mail. before your domain name e.g. mail.example.co.za*
- tick Use SSL to connect
- Port is 993 for IMAP or 995 for POP
- Outgoing server
- add smtp. before your domain name
- Tick Use SSL to connect
- Port is 465
- Click Add Account
- Click Done
- You’re not quite done yet:
- All settings should be correct on this screen – now choose More Options
Further Outgoing server settings
- Authentication: Use the dropdown arrow to select User Name and Password
- Enter in your User name (full email address) and Password
- Ignore Unqualified domain
- Click OK
* Note: In isolated cases mail.domain (e.g. mail.example.com) and smtp.domain won’t work. In these cases you will need to use the server name instead e.g. www34.cpt1.host-h.net. Find my server name.
You have completed your account setup.
Email still not working? Read our Troubleshooting Guide.