How to set up an autoresponder
An automated reply email (also known as an autoresponder, auto-reply or out-of-office email) can be set up in either your mail client e.g. your desktop computer, via konsoleH or within Webmail. Refer to the various templates below for suggestions on what to include.
1. Mail client
Outlook, Thunderbird, Mac Mail and other mail clients provide an autoreply option. Refer to their relevant support documentation.
Set-up an Auto Responder on a mailbox via konsoleH:
- Browse to konsoleH and log in at Admin level.
- Select Mail > Manage Accounts.
- Select konsoleH Beta
- The Mail Admin will now be displayed. Select the Autoresponder icon in line with the relevant mailbox.
- Toggle the switch to On.
- Expiry Date: Select your date. The autoresponse will be deactivated by 6am on that date.
- Edit the Subject and Text as required. Note: please don’t use any special characters, including apostrophe e.g. ‘I’m’, ‘we’ll’ or the autoresponder will not work correctly.
- Click Save.
- Your auto responder is now active. To test it, send an email to the address and see if you receive the auto response.
Set-up an Auto Responder on a mailbox via Webmail
- Browse to WebMail
- Log in with your full email address and email password. (passwords are case-sensitive)
- Click on Settings (the cog icon at the top right)
- Click on Manage Mailbox
- Login with your mailbox password
- Scroll down to Autoresponse and edit as needed. Note: please don’t use any special characters, including apostrophe e.g. ‘I’m’, ‘we’ll’ or the autoresponder will not work correctly.
- Toggle the OFF switch to ON
- Click on Update Mailbox at the bottom of the page
- Your Autoresponder is now active. To test it, send an email to the address and see if you receive the auto response.
- If you are using konsoleH, remember to include your mail signature at the bottom
- Adjust the subject line, but include “autoreply” or similar
Thank you for your email. I am out of the office and will be back on (date).
As I will have limited access to my email, you can contact me on my cell phone at (cell phone number).
Thank you for your email. Our offices are closed from (date) until (date).
We will attend to your enquiry as soon as possible thereafter. Urgent enquiries can be addressed to (email/cell number).
I will be out of the office from (date) until (date).
If you need immediate assistance during this time, please contact (name) at (email address/cell number). Otherwise I will respond to your emails as soon as possible when I return.
Disclaimer: If an email receives a spam score higher than the threshold set for the domain, it will automatically be delivered to the spambucket folder. This action will overrule any auto-responder or email forwarding settings.