Self-Managed server: configure Windows Server Update Services (WSUS)
We are able to facilitate Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) for all Self-Managed server Windows customers. This enables administrators to deploy the latest Microsoft product and security updates to servers that are running a Windows operating system.
Customers can access updates quickly within the local Data Centre (DC) and will not incur any bandwidth costs to download the security updates; assisting in keeping your Self-Managed server updated and secure.
- This is a non-Active Directory setup
- Customers are advised to connect to Port 80 on the WSUS
- Only servers inside each Data Centre facility will be allowed to connect to this service
- There are two Windows Update Servers, one in Cape Town and one in Johannesburg, please only use the server in your server location.
- Cape Town: wsus1.cpt.host-h.net
- Johannesburg: wsus1.jnb.host-h.net
To configure WSUS for your Self-Managed server:
- Follow the instructions provided by Microsoft to “Configure Clients in a Non–Active Directory Environment”
- All other configuration settings within the Microsoft guides will need to be identified by the Self-Managed user, with the exception of the following:
- Our WSUS server information will be applicable when ‘Using the registry editor’ within the sub-key ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate’:
- Update the ‘WUServer’ with one of the following links:
- http://wsus1.cpt.host-h.net:80 [Cape Town servers only]
- http://wsus1.jnb.host-h.net:80 [Johannesburg servers only]
As per all software services associated with the Self-Managed product; customers are responsible for ensuring that their Self-Managed server has all the necessary security, virus protection and software updates to remain secure. We urge customers to take the appropriate action to secure their servers to prevent malicious activity and potential attacks. Servers that become compromised and affect network resources are likely to be disabled immediately. (See our Specific Terms of Service 3.30)