How to auto set up your email address in Mac Mail
Use the auto-configuration tool below to quickly and easily setup your mail accounts on any Apple device – from iPhones to MacBooks. Here’s how:
The easiest method is to open this webpage on the device that you would like to install the mail account.
- Insert your name, email address, and email password into the Mac Mail Configuration Tool.
- Copy the passcode – this will be used once-off to authenticate the configuration file. (You don’t need to worry about remembering this code).
- Click ‘Create Configuration File’.
- Next, click ‘Download’ and paste the code you just copied into the placeholder.
- Then, click ‘Download Configuration File’.
Note: If you are creating this configuration file on behalf of someone, insert their email address into the placeholder and click ‘Send Configuration File’. You will also need to send them the passcode copied. Use a password-sharing app or send it separately via WhatsApp.
Go to ‘System Preferences’ and select ‘Profile’.
You can also find the configuration file in your Downloads folder.
In the Email Settings box, you can view all your details and click ‘Install’.
Your email address is now set up and it can be viewed in your email program.
If you are using an iPhone or iPad, follow these steps first:
- Open the Safari browser and download the profile. The profile will not download correctly in another browser.
- Once the download is complete, navigate to the settings section of your iPhone or iPad.
- From there, select “A profile has been downloaded” below your name on the top right-hand corner of the screen.
- Next, navigate to ‘System Preferences’ and select ‘Profile’
- Click to install the configuration file.
A configuration file will be generated. When opened, this file will automatically set up your email account on that device.
For security reasons, there is a passcode for the configuration file. If you are forwarding these details to another device, you will need to forward the passcode separately e.g. via WhatsApp.
- A file named config_for_name_domain.mobileconfig will be generated
- View the new profile:
- Desktop: Find the file in your downloads folder and double click
- iPhone or iPad: View the profile in Settings > General > Profile
- Select the Install button on desktop or Install link at the top right on iPhone or iPad
- The mail account will be set up using IMAP and SSL/TLS
- If you receive a Token mismatch error, clear your browser cache, or view this page in Incognito (Chrome) or New Private window (other browsers) and try again.
- To remove the account on a mobile device, go to Settings > General > Profiles > Email Settings > Delete Profile
- Still struggling? Refer to our Step-by-Step instructions